Director of Educational Support Services
District Service Specialist
School attendance is important!
- Absenteeism in the first month of school can predict poor attendance throughout the school year. Half the students who miss 2-4 days in September go on to miss nearly a month of school.
- Research shows that missing 10 percent of the school, or about 18 days…, negatively affects a student’s academic performance. That’s just two days a month and that’s known as chronic absence.
- Poor attendance can influence whether children read proficiently by the end of third grade or can be the cause of being held back.
- By 6th grade, chronic absence becomes a leading indicator that a student will drop out of high school.
What does California law say?
- Children ages 6-18 are legally required to attend school and BE ON TIME. (Ed. Code 48200)
- A truant is…a student who is absent without valid excuse 3 days in one year or more than 30 minutes late 3 times in a year or a combination of the two. (Ed Code 48260)
- If a student is reported truant 3 times, he or she is considered “habitual truant” and the parents can be referred to court where they could be fined up to $500. (Ed. Code 48293)
What can we do to prevent truancy?
- Communicate with your school.
- Know the school’s attendance policy.
- Talk to teachers if you notice sudden changes in behavior.
- Check on your child’s attendance.
- Ask for help from school officials.